Civil Engg. (Practice Test)
1. A standard, ground-based evaporation pan, corresponding to Indian Standards, is installed at the banks of a surface reservoir. The water surface area on a particular day is 100 hectares. The recorded evaporation loss from the pan, on a certain day, is nearly 4.0 cm. What is the anticipated evaporation loss from the reservoir for that day?
(a) (1.8 to 2) x 104 m3 perday
(b) (2.5 to 2.75) x 104 m3 per day
(c) (3.0 to3.25) x l04 m3 perday
(d) (3.8 to 4.05) x 104 m3 perday
2. What is the probable maximum precipitation (PMP)?
(a) Projected precipitation for a 100-yr return period
(b) Maximum precipitation for all past recorded storms
(c) Upper limit of rainfall, which is justified climatologically
(d) Effective perceptible water
3. Consider the following statements:
An aqueduct is a cross drainage work in which
1. A canal is carried over the drainage channel.
2. A drainage channel ‘is carried over the canal.
3. Both drainage channel and canal are at the same level
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) I only
(b) I and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and3
4. How is the determination of aquifer parameters S (Storage Coefficient) and T (Transmissivity Coefficient) done?
1. By recording the drawdown in a pumped well at different time intervals.
2. By recording the drawdown in installed observation wells at different time intervals.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both I and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
5. In a 4 cm diameter pipeline carrying laminar flow of a liquid with viscosity 1.6 centipoise, the velocity at the axis is 2 m/s. What is the shear stress midway between the wall and the axis?
(a) 0.01 N/m2
(c) 0.0175 N/m2
(d) 0.02 N/m2
6. A hydraulic jump occurs at the toe of a spill. way. The depth before jump is 0.2 m.
The sequent depth is 3.2 m. What is the energy dissipated in m (approximate)?
7. In a wide rectangular channel, an increase in the normal depth by 20% corresponds to how much (approximate) increase in discharge?
8. A penstock is 2000 m long and the velocity of pressure wave in it is 1000 m/s. Water hammer pressure head for instantaneous closure of valve at the downstream end of the pipe is 60 m. If the valve is closed 4s, then what is the peak water hammer, pressure in m of water?
9. Which one of the following is the correct statement?
A heterotroph is an organism that obtains
(a) Its cell carbon from an inorganic source
(b) Its energy from the oxidation of simple inorganic compounds
(c) Its cell carbon as well as its energy from organic matter
(d) Its energy from a natural ecosystem
10. The term ‘biological magnification’ indicates which one of the following?
(a) Likelihood of increasing size of animals during evolution
(b) Magnification pertaining to microscopy
(c) Accumulation of pollutants in soil
(d) Accumulation of pollutants in successive consumers
11. Which one of the following is the correct statement?
The contact pressure distribution below rigid footing on the surface of a clay soil is
(a) Uniform for the full width
(b) Maximum at the centre and minimum at the edges
(c) Maximum at the edges and minimum at the centre
(d) Of an irregular shape
12. The following soils are compacted at the same compactive effort in the field. Which one of the following is the correct sequence in the increasing order of their maximum dry density?
(a) Silty clay—Clay—Sand—Grave sand clay mixture
(b) Sand—Gravel sand clay mixture—Silty clay—Clay
(c) Clay—Silty clay—Sand— Gravel sand clay mixture
(d) Sand—Gravel sand clay mixture— Clay—Silty clay
13. Consider the following statements:
On addition of lime to a clay soil, generally
1. M.D.D. and strength both increase
2. M.D.D. decreases but strength increases.
3. M.D.D. and O.M.C. both increase.
Which of the statements liven above is correct?
(a). 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) None of the above
14. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below,
List-I (Speed) List-II (Application)
A. Space mean speed 1. Road conditions studies
B. Journey speed 2. Regulatory measures
C. Running speed 3. Traffic flow studies
D. Spot speed 4. Delay studies
A B C D
(a) 3 2 1 4
(b) 1 4 3 2
(c) 3 4 1 2
(d) 1 2 3 4
15. Which one of the following methods is generally considered the best for tunnel ventilation?
(a) Driving a drift through the tunne1
(b) ‘Blow in’ method
(c) ‘Blow out’ method
(d) Combination of ‘Blow in’ and ‘Blow out’ methods
16. Which one of the following is not related to theories of creep of rails?
(a) Wave theory
(b) Percussion theory
(c) Drag theory
(d) Reversal theory
17. What is the steepest gradient permissible on a 2° curve for B.G. line having reeling gradient of 1 in 200?
(a) 1 in 250
(b) 1 in 238
(c) I in 209
(d) I in 198
18. Which one of the following is not correct for container ports?
(a) The berth capacity is great
(b) Overall transit time is less
(c) There is minimal damage to cargo
(d) Minimal land is required for the marshalling area
19. The daily cover of MSW landfills consists of which one of the following?
(a) Compacted soil
20. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below
List-I (Air Pollution) List-II (Impact on Human Health)
A. Particulates 1. Impairs transport of O2 in bloodstream
B. Carbon monoxide 2. Irritation of mucous membranes of respiratory tract
C. Sulphur oxides 3. Causes coughing, shortness of breath, headache etc.
D. Photochemical oxidants 4. Causes respiratory illness
A B C D
(a) 2 3 4 1
(b) 4 1 2 3
(c) 2 1 4 3
(d) 4 3 2 1