Civil Engg (Practice Tests)
1. Consider the following statements associated with groynes:
1. Hydraulic behaviour of a system of groynes is influenced by the characteristics of particles that constitute the littoral drift.
2. Groyne is constructed approximately parallel to shore. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
2. What is the wave velocity for a uniform train of wave beyond the storm centre for a
wave length of 20 m in 14 m deep water?
(a) 5.5 m/s
(b) 11.2 m/s
(c) 4.5 m/s
3. As the elevation increases, the runway length has to be changed at what rate?
(a) Decreased @ 5% per 300 m rise in elevation above M.S.L.
(b) Increased @ 7% per 300 m rise in elevation above M.S.L
(c) Decreased @ 9% per 300 m rise in elevation above M.S.L.
(d) Increased @ 15% per 300 m rise in elevation above MS.L.
The following questions consists of two statements , Assertion and Reason. While answering these questions choose any of the following four responses
a. If both assertion and reason are true and the reason is correct explanation of assertion.
b. If both assertion and reason are true but reason is not a correct explanation of assertion.
c. If assertion is true and reason is false.
d. If both assertion and reason are false.
4. Assertion (A): A discrete particle (of diameter d0) settling in a circular sedimentation tank follows a parabolic path.
Reason (R): The downward settling velocity (v0) of the discrete particle (of diameter d0) in a circular sedimentation tank does not change with time.
5. Assertion (A): Shear strength parameters of sand can be estimated by conducting Unconfined compression test.
Reason (R): The effective angle of shearing resistance of sand is nearly the same for dry and saturated sands, in drained condition.
6. Assertion (A): Estimation of settlement of foundations on sandy soils can be done by using SPT values.
Reason (R): Sampling in cohesion less soil without disturbing the structure is difficult.
7. Assertion (A): The water content of inorganic soils is determined by heating the soil in an oven at a temperature of 105° to 110° C.
Reason (R): The free water, absorbed water and structural water are all completely removed from the soil by heating it at 105° to 110° C.
8. A sailor, standing on the deck of a ship, just sees the light beam from a lighthouse on the shore. If the height of the sailor’s eye and of the light beam at the lighthouse, above the sea level are 9 m and 25 m respectively, what is the distance between the sailor and the lighthouse?
(a) 29.8 km
(b) 31.1 km
(c) 31.9 km
(d) 33.2 km
9. Match List-I with List-il and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists;
List-I (Instrument) List-II (Use)
A. Sub tense bar 1. To determine difference in elevation between points
B. Sextant 2. To determine horizontal distance
C. Tangent clinometers 3. To measure angles
D. Range finder 4. To establish right angles
A B C D
(a) 2 4 1 3
(b) 1 3 2 4
(c) 2 3 1 4
(d) 1 4 2 3
10. Which one of the following instruments can be used as clinometers? -
(a) Prism square
(b) Line ranger
(c) Abney level
(d) Optical square
11. Which among the following brings about the Hazardous Waste Management and
Handling Rules in India?
(a) Central Pollution Control Board
(b) Ministry of Environment and Forests
(c) Ministry of Urban Development
(d) Ministry of Rural Development