Society and Environment - Questions from AMIE Exams
Write full form of following abbreviations
- CoronaVirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a coronavirus first detected in the year 2019. The first case was identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019.
- World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that acts as a coordinating authority on international public health.
- Human Resource Development (HRD) is the framework for helping employees develop their personal and organizational skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- International Labour Organization (ILO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that deals with labour-related issues across the world, including improving labour conditions and employment standards. ILO is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service Limited, abbreviated as RITES Ltd, is a wholly-owned subsidiary and an engineering consultancy corporation, specializing in the field of transport infrastructure.
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is the central agency authorized to conduct the Civil Services Examination for entry-level appointments to the various Civil Services of India.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) is a statutory organization established in 1974 under the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF). CPCB is headquartered in New Delhi, India. The Principal Functions of CPCB is to promote the cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States by the prevention, control and abatement of water pollution, and to improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country.
- United Nations Children’s Fund, originally known as the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF), is an agency of the United Nations (UN) that administers programs to aid children’s health and education, especially in developing countries. UNICEF was set up by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 11 December 1946 to provide children and mothers with emergency food and health care in countries ravaged by World War II. In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations System, and the words "International" and "Emergency" were dropped from the organization’s name, though it retained the original acronym, "UNICEF".
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a method that examines the environmental impacts of a newly proposed industrial or infrastructural project. It is used as an environmental assessment tool to provide decision-makers and the concerned public with essential information to plan for environmentally sustainable economic development.
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), formerly known as Tata Energy Research Institute, is a research institute focusing its research activities in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development. It is headquartered in New Delhi, Delhi, India.
The study material for AMIE exams is available at https://amiestudycircle.com