Mine Management and Legislation - MCQs from AMIE Exams (Set 4)
Each question carries two marks.
1. If the workers employed in a mine contract any disease notified by the central government in the official gazette, the owner, agent or manager shall, within –––– days of his being informed of the diseases, send notice in –––– of the first schedule to the higher authorities.
(a) seven, form V
(b) three, form IV
(c) two, form V
(d) three, form V
2. Buffer inventory is required as
(a) one or more stages in the operation can not supply all the items it produces simultaneously.
(b) compensation for differences in the timing of supply and demand.
(c) compensation for the uncertainties inherent in supply and demand
(d) material can not be transported instantaneously between the point of supply and the point of demand.
3. If the nominal rate of interest that a bank offers is 12%, which is compounded quarterly, what is the effective rate of interest?
4. Roof fall accidents are caused due to
(a) no support given at face
(b) insufficient support and delay in the erection of support
(c) the maximum concentration of workers is there at the face
(d) blasting and misfired shots
5. Roof fall accidents can be maintained by
(a) formulation of SSR and proper implementation of the support rule
(b) minimising the entry of manpower in the mine
(c) by a proper supply of support items
(d) none of the above
6. It is very difficult to control the shaly roof if coal is not left with the shale - why?
(a) it is weak in nature
(b) it has weathering effect
(c) it has a great affinity to absorb moisture and get departed from the immediate roof
(d) it reacts with the coaly surface
7. During fighting electrical fire portable fire extinguisher should be
(a) soda acid type
(b) foam type
(c) CO₂ water type
(d) CO₂ gas type
8. One of the main criteria to decide the size of the panel for depillaring is
(a) construction of artificial panels
(b) the incubation period of coal seam
(c) depth of cover
(d) systematic support rule of the panel
9. In the process of material management, the material requirement planning system is composed of
(a) product structure
(b) processing information
(c) procurement lead items
(d) inventory status
(e) all the above
10. The scope of human resource audit is
(a) training and development
(d) all the above
2. (c) Buffer inventory is required as insurance to protect customers from stockouts of finished product inventory.
Value after a quarter =
Value after four quarters =
Effective rate of return =
The following three reasons are mainly attributed to the occurrence of roof-fall accidents:
- effects of mining-induced stress and tectonic stress,
- existence of equipment cavern on the side of the roadway, and
- unreasonable support parameters.
6. (c) Shale is probably the most common roof rock above coal beds. Many shales offer good, or at least predictable, roof conditions. Weak or soft shales, however, include moisture-sensitive shales, clay stones, coaly shales, or rash, and shales immediately above coal beds, termed “draw slates” or “draw rock,” which are prone to small falls.
7. (d) CO₂ extinguishers: These contain only pressurised carbon dioxide gas and therefore leave no residue. They are suitable for use on fires involving burning liquids (Class B), and electrical fires, such as large computer equipment, so are practical in offices. CO₂ works by suffocating the fire and does not cause damage to the electrical items or cause the system to short circuit.
8. (b) The main consideration in deciding the size of the panel is the incubation period of the coal seam. The size is so fixed that the entire panel can be extracted within the incubation period without the occurrence of spontaneous fire. The period in Indian coalfields generally varies between 6 to 12 months. The other factor that influences the size is the rate at which extraction is done. With high rates of extraction made possible by mechanization, the size of the panel can be significantly increased. The extraction rate from depillaring districts in Indian coalfield averages about 250-300 tons per day per panel.
10. (d) One important objective of an HR audit is to review the performance of the Human Resource Department and its relative activities like manpower planning and recruitment, training and development, performance appraisal, etc. in order to assess the effectiveness on the implementation of the various policies to realize the Organizational goals.
- The study material for AMIE/B Tech/Junior Engineer exams is available at https://amiestudycircle.com
- If you like the post please share your thoughts in the comment section