Choose the correct answer for the following (10 x 2)
1. In the Coal Mines Regulation 1957, the duties and responsibilities of the manager are prescribed in
(a) Regulation 39
(b) Regulation 40
(c) Regulation 41
(d) Regulation 43
2. Under which one of the following systems, Zener barriers are associated?
(a) Increased safety
(b) Intrinsic safety
(d) Statistically safety
3. In the terminology associated with fault, the angle, which a fault plane makes with the vertical plane, is termed as
4. The name of the deepest coal mine in India is
(a) Sudamdih colliery
(b) Churcha colliery
(c) Chinakury colliery, 1/2 pit
(d) Jitpur colliery
5. Upsidence, a phenomenon denoting valley closure or gorge closure, is associated with
(a) longwall mining
(b) Soutirage mining
(c) bord and pillar mining
(d) short wall mining
6. According to mine legislation in India, the minimum dimension of width and height of underground travelling roadways (in m) are
(a) 1.2 and 1.5
(b) 1.5 and 1.8
(c) 1.5 and 1.2
(d) 1.8 and 1.5
7. The gas that replaces the mine atmospheric air after an explosion in an underground coal mine is known as
(b) white damp
(c) stink damp
(d) after damp
8. Which one of the following traits is not desirable in the personality of a mine manager?
9. Smog, a type of air pollution, common in coal mining townships is visible particulate matters concentrating near the earth's surface that mainly contains
(a) NO and CO
(b) SO2 and CO2
(c) SO2 and H2S
(d) CO and CO2
10. Power factor in a mine can be corrected using the
(a) induction motor
(c) synchronous motor and capacitor
2. (b) For an explosion, all three of gas/dust, oxygen and source of ignition (spark or heat) need to be present. Intrinsic Safety works on the principle of removing the source of ignition. This can be achieved by using a Zener Barrier or Galvanic Isolator.
3. (c) The hade angle is defined as the complement of the dip angle; it is the angle between the fault plane and a vertical plane that strikes parallel to the fault.
4. (c) Chinakuri 1/2 pits is a colliery under Eastern coalfield limited. It is about 1.5 square kilometres in the area and is situated at the bank of the Damodar river. It has a population of about 8000. It has the deepest coal mine in Asia.
5. (a) Upsidence is the reduced subsidence or the net uplift which results from longwall mining.
7. (d) Afterdamp is the mixture of gases found in a mine after an explosion or fire.
8. (a) Impulsivity is the tendency to act without thinking, for example, if you blurt something out, buy something you had not planned to, or run across the street without looking.
9. (a) Photochemical smog contains PAN, Ozone and Nitrogen dioxide.
10. (c) Power factor (PF) is the measure of how efficiently you use electrical energy. PF = 0 is the worst case (completely inefficient), and PF = 1 is the ideal (completely efficient in that all AC current is transferred into working power). The capacitors correct power factor by supplying capacitive reactive power to the equipment to counter the inductive reactance of your equipment. This method can lower both your electric bill and losses in transformers and wiring.
- The study material for AMIE/B Tech/Junior Engineer exams is available at https://amiestudycircle.com
- If you like the post please share your thoughts in the comment section